Monday 9 July 2007


20/06/06
The Library moves! It just about fits through the alley way that runs down the side of the museum and it just fits around the glass cabinets inside the museum. It seems to have been made just to fit in to this space, as the door jam doesn't seem to be the standard height that I was counting on. Moving the Library is quite difficult however. I have to take the roof off before it can get through any doors and then I need at least two people ( thanks Alice and Sue!) to push the back whilst I pull and direct the front. We went for a little adventure today just down to the Church on Oxford St. Once the roof was back on it just went under the awnings hanging from the book shop and the butchers. There were some odd looks but we managed to recruit about 6 new members which was pretty good going considering it was half day opening.
Alice, Sue and I went for a well earned drink in The Neptune Pub, we even had a quick invigorating dip in the sea, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but then realised I might not dry off in time for the talk I was giving at the Library about my work and my library. Luckily the sun was out and we all dried off in time for the talk, where I managed to recruit another 10 new members. I also met two lovely Librarian one of whom told me about the collectiuon of things found in books that the Library actually keeps. Once a man of 80 returned a book and as she was checking it in she found a blakc suspender between the pages! She told me that they collect the things and then at a certain point in the year they put them out on a table for the public to claim them back. I got really excited about this collection of objects found in books and asked her if there was anyway we could exhibit them alongside my Library. She said she would see what she could do.

No comments: